07 June 2020

Quarantina Quompetiton #2 - Beaks Out

The RTB01 Challenge!


Greetings creeps! ... creepy... watchers.... scaly.. creepy..... whatever. Bulldoglopez here....

WE MADE SOME FUCKING SPACE MARINES!! YEAH!!!


Now.... I'm not talking about your fancy-schmancy modern GW marines. I'm talking that good old-fashioned RTB01, the very first plastic Imperial Space Marines! The wombles, the beakies, THE ORIGINAL GANGSTAS OF THE 41st MILLENNIUM!! The challenge was simple, each of us had 2 weeks to build and paint at least one RTB01 Marine and post it here.

As you will soon see, the results were nothing less than spectacular...



Sean's Apothecary/Medic


Holy Crap! I'm actually done with a project before an hour after the deadline.

Hot on the heels of the last challenge someone suggested we do RTB01 Space Marines. At first I didn't think I had any, but it turns out I had this guy lurking in an eBay impulse buy of some Marines.


Woof, definitely in need of a salvage. He was put together with some kind of epoxy and the belt pouches rubbed against the backpack, making it hard to put together. So after stripping, a little greenstuff to fix the gap in the torso and filing of mold lines and sprue attachment blobs he was ready for paint.


I decided to make my own Chapter, the Spaaaace Ghooosts! Sure there are Star Phantoms, but I have to be different.


I tried to do more lining and highlighting than I normally do. I like how the white armor turned out. My black still needs work. I have a chaplain that I can work on to figure that out.


I decided to follow some friendly advice and just do the red cross as my medic symbol. I felt like the old RT caduceus would look terrible if I tried it and I'm not really jazzed about the new Apothecary symbol, though it is infinitely easier to paint.


I had originally thought I would do the medic in obverse colors of the Space Ghosts but in researching how apothecaries/medics are depicted, I noticed it was all over the place and I could not find a good example of how other chapters with white armor handled it.


The backpack came out fairly decent. I'm still working out my new photography area so the photos are a tad wonky. Sorry about that. Anyway I hope you enjoyed this little foray into an iconic set of figures. I'm really anxious to see what everyone else came up with.


TheOttoVonBismark's Primaris RTB01 

I have done edits on the body armour sections of this Primaris marine.  Replaced the shoulders and head with parts from the RTB01 kit.  I did some enhancement to the studded shoulder pad as the original kit's studs are ill defined.  I did lots of shaving at the knees and chest area to dial it back to the less puffed out chest look of later armour marks and also used the classic chainblade combat accessory as well as a spare bolter magazine from the kit.

Painted up as a rank and file trooper for my fledgling Dark Angel force, you can see how he scales for size with this Emperors Children traitor.  
 Primaris RTB01

Bulldoglopez jumps the shark.... THE SPAAAAAACE SHARKS!!!

COWABUNGA DUDES!!! When I started this challenge off I fully intended to finish a full ten man squad, but other..... things..... happened. SO I FINISHED TWO. Leave me alone.



ANYWAYS. I was kicking around the idea of painting a Badab War color scheme because the camo schemes are so crazy looking... but I've tried some of them out before and I just don't like the way they look on miniatures. I decided on Space Sharks because... well.... they're Sharks... IN SPAAAAAACE!!

I painted them grey. Thats it.


I combined a few elements of RT and modern era Space Sharks (Charcharcharchardons? whatever) First, I stuck with the grey scheme but I incorporated some of the irregular camo style pattern onto one of the shoulder pads. Its supposed to evoke rippling water. I really liked the way the black shoulder pads look on the modern Forge World Badab War campaign and it was a nice way to break up the plain grey.



So ridiculous 

Sharks don't do this

I HATE THE STUPID FAT SHARK ICON!! It looks ABSURD. I also was not a fan of the FW shark icon so I went with a kind of stylized shark head that looks really similar to the red and yellow Space Wolf icon. Hand painting the icon on every shoulder pad is going to be a pain but i'm satisfied with it. It's not perfect but it will look good when I have 200-5000 of them painted.

Rad shark icon


FINS OUT MUTHATRUCKAS!!!

Curis' Combat Card Blood Angel

First encounters are important – whether they be with boobs, cigarettes or BETTER STILL: Citadel Miniatures.  My first encounter with them (Citadel Miniatures, not boobs or cigarettes) happened when my mother, knowing I was an eight-year-old obsessed with Top Trumps, bought me a set of "Spacewar Combat Cards".  Each Combat Card featured a photograph of a cool science fiction character, and my imagination was captured forever.


It wasn't until many years later I discovered Warhammer 40,000 proper.  And many years after that for boobs and cigarettes.  Realising all those characters were just a tiny subset of a vast universe full of thousands of miniatures you could buy and paint BLEW MY MIND.


So as an adult who like boobs and cigarettes, I'm turning back the clock not just by playing the card game itself with the same giddy delight as when I was eight years old, but also crafting and painting my own versions of those iconic Combat Card characters.  This is Brother Travis, Marine Missile Launcher.


This red armoured supersoldier was one of the nine characters from Spacewar that you can make using the RTB01 Space Marine kit, so this Scale Creeps Challenge was a perfect opportunity to bring him to life.  He was slowly painted up one or two components at a time, as a lot of the pieces get in the way of each other and obstruct brush access.


He's the third of the Spacewar characters I've painted recently, and each of them feels like a gem, a dream made real, a piece of my childhood brought to life. And you can't measure that in boobs or cigarettes.

If you'd like to see how I cope with the other 32 miniatures in the project, check out future updates over at Ninjabread

Curis out!



Rochies Blood Angels

Well hello there! They've left the keys under the mat again so I've snuck back in, this time to show off my brand spanking new(ly painted) beaky fellas. I was on the look out for some RTB01 chappies to go with my terminators I'm painting up, and our very own Aiteal put his generous bastard hat on again and sent me a selection of his childhood marines, some of which are here:
Life is hard in the marines

So with a typical lack of any sort of forward planning, I tore them limb from limb, cherry picked the most serviceable parts and got cracking. And a fortnight(ish) later, the first five are done (thats right Lopez, five, an actual combat squad, not two lads out on a jolly) 

Red is a dirty pig to photograph 

Seeing as these boys were appearing on Scale Creep I decided to really bust my own balls and do a bit of freehand on the shoulders too


So there you have it, a fun little restoration that also gives me the first proper squad for a new army! *

*Army may or may not happen depending on how quickly I get distracted again. 

Cheers! 


antipixi's Star Bast**d Revival


What an excuse to revive an old project and feel some level of completion. When the Creepers set each other the challenge of painting a Beaky [What else would you do in a time of total lockdown?], I saw an opportunity...

A few years ago, I converted and painted a RBT01 marine for a BOYL game of Space Marines maroon for centuries by Warp Storms. These marines had no access to new equipment and so what they had became damaged and in need of ad hoc repair. The idea was to paint a unit of 3 to 5, I managed an embarrassing one!

When this challenge was set, I pulled out my RTB01 bits (along with some other things) and set to them with knife, saw and three colours of sculpting putty.

Clunky Prosthetic for the Card-Reading Sargeant.

I never really got the poo-in-the-pants pose of the RBT01 Beakies, so felt compelled to straighten them.

The Medic needs to be mobile.

I love the old squat bikes. I saw this as an  excellent excuse to use this one I had laying around. (Note: I actually did this conversion when I started the original Star Bastard. I am so glad he no longer gives me the unpainted stare of shame from the shelf!)

The newly painted pair.

I wanted a grubby look to the paintjob, to make it look like over time their equipment had become less well maintained.

Star Bastards united!

For completeness, here's a pic of the 3 Star Bastards together: The biker medic, the Sergeant who has given his body to the cause and the private (more feral than the others, having to use a recover lasgun to replace his bolter; lost on some unremembered battlefield.).

I really enjoyed the challenge. And look at me - a belated completed project done!


Spevna’s StarBastard

I wanted to put together a space marine that had gone awol. He hasn’t turned to chaos or anything like that, he’s just had enough of being sent all over the galaxy and getting bugger all in return for his efforts!

Made much more sense to strike out on his own, offer his services to the highest bidder, and reap the rewards of his labour. What’s the point in being a drugged up, genetically enhanced killing machine if you don’t get anything for it???




He was cobbled together from an original plastic beakie, some Horus Heresy bits, an Ad Mech leg, and a Frostgrave head.


SO THERE YOU HAVE IT!!

We hope you've enjoyed the past 2 challenges, they are keeping us sane through the pandemic and (sort of) giving us the motivation to get our backlog painted. Have you challenged anyone in your gaming or hobby group to get a project done? Try it. It's fun. PAINT YOUR SHIT!

7 comments:

  1. Nice work, all. Great to see the variety of color schemes used

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Really nice article, showing some very nicely painted miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those were great, especially Brother Travis until I saw those two with a crossbreed of a shark and Bugs Bunny in the Lonney tunes opening on the shoulder pads, those 2 ruined the whole thing, ALMOST.
    Great RTBing guys, and down with fat shark shaming !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasty work lads, very tasty. You all done us proud. Sorry I missed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work chaps, good to see Scale Creep winning again!

    ReplyDelete